Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Since I am able to get raw milk from the dairy, I have plenty of cream to skim and churn into butter. I don't really churn it. My trusty Kitchen Aid mixer with whisk does the work for me. Because I make my own butter, I also have plenty of buttermilk, at times in greater supply than my grocery budget or working brain cells. Between the two forces working against me, I found myself without any Ranch Dressing in the house for Sunday's chef salad lunch. My oldest lives for Ranch dressing so this was a SERIOUS issue.

I found a recipe online at foodnetwork.com. It is simple so can be dressed and seasoned to personal tastes. While the dressing can be served instantly, the flavor improves as it sits. Making the dressing ahead and chilling in the refrigerator might be preferable. For my family I doubled the recipe and had more than enough. Also fat-free or reduced mayonnaise and/or buttermilk can make this a light and healthier dressing.

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1 green onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste

Coarsely chop the green onion and place into a food processor with the garlic; pulse until the garlic is minced. Add mayonnaise, buttermilk, and salt and pepper and combine until smooth.

***********************
That's it! It is so simple and has good flavor. As I said you can add other seasoning or herbs to suit personal tastes. Enjoy!

No comments: