Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I made this recipe this week. It was a HUGE hit. Even my picky that dislikes casseroles gave it a thumbs up when he had his polite bite. It tastes good as leftovers. I more than doubled the recipe. It is all gone 3 days later. See after the recipe for the changes I made to recipe to suit my and my family's tastes. Here is the recipe in the original form as I got it from a chat board.

Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
3-4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 4 breasts)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided (Mexican works well)
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 can Rotel tomatoes, drained (add more or less according to preferences)
1 pack of taco shells, crushed

DIRECTIONS
Mix all ingredients (using only half of the cheese) in a large bowl making sure taco shells are wet. Place in a greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Top with other half of cheese. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and cheese starts to golden.

*Note from Ranae - I have used diced chicken breasts, leftover cooked chicken as well as shredded chicken for this recipe. I prefer the diced chicken breasts. I also use a tomato and green chile mix for added kick but not using the full half can called for if doing it that way. Also I have used tortilla chips. About half a bag equals a pack of taco shells.

I serve the casserole on a bed of shredded lettuce and topped with sour cream and sliced black olives. Salsa is a good topper as well if that is your preference like it is my hubby's.

No comments: