Friday, September 4, 2009

Munchie Mix Recipe

I'm a day late. I could give you the reasons and let you know how my day went yesterday, but that would take up my entire post, and there are others with just as hectic or moreso schedules. Today is promising to be more of the same.

The Trail Mix recipe was a hit. It makes an enormous amount (over a gallon) even by my family's standards. The kids loved it. Allergy-sufferers can pick out the ingredients they cannot eat. Some of my kids will not eat nuts while others will not eat raisins. There doesn't seem to be that problem with the chocolate candies. A person visiting after snack would find bowls or baggies with the remains of unwanted mix parts. When hubby gets home, he finishes off the ones with the nuts left. It all gets eaten. Pizza toppings work the same way in my house. It sounds like an auction at dinner on pizza night.

I found the Trail Mix recipe in an e-mail I received from Taste of Home this month. I tweaked it for my family and to save costs. I used larger packages than called for in the original recipe (i.e. 19 ounce bag of M&Ms instead of 14 ounces). I purchased the raisins in a 25-ounce container and used the leftover for cinnamon-raisin bread for breakfast the next morning. Instead of the mixed nuts called for in the original recipe, I bought the same amount for less money in cashew pieces and unsalted, roasted peanuts. It saved money not to mention cut back the salt. The cashew and peanuts are what gets picked out the nut mix anyway. I deleted the granola (without raisins) called for in the original recipe. It saved money, and I forgot to make some homemade before making this. That saves time too. The mix was still good, and this is what I came up with after all my edits ...

Munchie Mix
Serving size: 3/4 cup

4-1/2 cups nuts (cashews and peanuts used)
1 package (17 ounces) raisins
1 package (19 ounces) peanut M&Ms
1 package (19 ounces) milk chocolate M&Ms
1 package (17 ounces) Honey-Nut Cheerios
1 package (13 ounces) Cheerios

Directions: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in a covered container or large resealable plastic bags. Makes 5+ quarts.

No comments: