Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Carrot-Pineapple Salad

I found this recipe on About.com. I was searching for an easy side dish salad to serve at a luncheon for 20 people. I am not a big nut-in-my-food fan, but I love this dish. I did not serve it topped with mayonnaise and still enjoyed it. This pretty salad takes less than 30 minutes to prepare which is nice too.



The can of pineapple shown is larger than called for in the recipe so there is more pineapple in the salad than the recipe states. That is what I get for making it when half asleep. IF I had paid more attention and done it right, the pecans would rise to the top with the orange and yellow of the carrots and pineapple underneath creating a pretty salad as appetizing to look at as it is to eat.


INGREDIENTS
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped pecans
8-ounce can crushed pineapple, well drained, reserving juice
2 carrots, coarsely grated

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over reserved pineapple juice and let stand 2-3 minutes. Then pour sugar and salt on top of gelatin. Pour boiling water over all and stir utnil sugar and gelatin are dissloved. Add lemon juice and stir to blend. Add pecans, pineapple, and grated carrot. Pour into an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Cover and chill 4 hours until firm. Cut into squares. Serve topped with a bit of mayonnaise, if desired. Makes 9 servings

All ready to chill in the refrigerator

No comments: