Thursday, October 30, 2008

October's LOK Kitchen Challenge Entry


The challenge was to feed a family of 4 for $10 for all day. A family of 6 or more was allotted $15 for the day's meals. This is my entry for the challenge. The total cost was $14.31. It made the following menu:

Breakfast: Blueberry Waffle Sandwiches, Banana, Milk
Lunch: Toasted Bread, Tomato Soup
Dinner: Goulash, Broccoli

Grocery List
Waffles, frozen 10 ct -- $1.15
Eggs, dozen --$1.29
Milk, 1 gallon -- $2.50
Bananas, 3 lb -- $1.50
French Bread, 1 loaf -- $1.50
Tomato Soup, 3 10-oz cans -- $1.37
Macaroni, 2 lb -- $1.69
Corn, 1 cans -- $. 45
Chili Beans, 2 cans -- $ .90
Spaghetti Sauce, 1 26-oz can -- $ .98
Broccoli, frozen 1 lb -- $ .98

For breakfast, I used frozen blueberry waffles. While toasting the waffles, I cooked the eggs to make breakfast sandwiches as posted in this blog post. The breakfast sandwiches were served with banana chunks and a glass of milk.

For lunch, I used some store-bought french bread. I buttered the slices and baked at 350 until the bread is toasted. I mixed up the tomato soup with milk with a ratio of 3 cans to 2 cups of milk.

Goulash Ingredients for Dinner

For dinner, I made goulash as it is a favorite among my kids. I cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. I then dump in a can of spaghetti sauce, can of corn (drained), 2 cans of chili beans into the pot with the cooked (& drained) macaroni. Mix it well and serve. I serve with a steamed vegetable like broccoli (cook in microwave when pasta is cooking).

Dinner is served

Note: I used green beans for our meal since I had some fresh from our garden, but for costs I priced a bag of broccoli.

No comments: