Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Remember those tomatoes I mentioned in my previous post?  This is what has become of most of them ...


If you get close enough, you might even be able to smell it because it smells better than it looks.  Just be careful not to leave a nose print on your screen.  I used a basic recipe I found HERE to give it a try.  I figure if I don't like it, I can tweak it to my preferences when I make some more.  Although I am tomatoed out right now.   (I had a cut on my arm that I remembered every time the juice form the tomatoes ran into it.)  I do most of my new recipes that way.  I follow the recipe the first time, and tweak it the following times until I like it.  Of course, that is if I tasted potential in it.  That is why I stick to higher rated recipes with plenty of comments when googling recipes.

Back to my sauce since that is why you are reading this post, right?  What is simmering is a double batch - 35 cups of chopped tomatoes plus garlic and seasonings. The above picture is misleading how much sauce this is.  That pot is my largest stock pot - like 3-meals-for-my-crew-and-leftovers-sized stock pot.  Some sauce will be for dinner tonight.  The rest I will freeze for later meals. 

Dinner tonight
Spaghetti
Tossed Salad (with fresh cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden)
French Bread
Garlic Butter

Mmmmm ... 5:30 cannot get here soon enough.  Bon Appetit!



No comments: