Thursday, June 12, 2008

Jiffy Jambalya



I found the recipe for this in my new issue of Simple & Delicious by Taste of Home. The recipe was both simple and delicious. It came together so easily which is no small feat with 7 children underfoot. My hubby loved it as did my 7 yo who had two big helpings. It wasn't hard on the pocketbook either. With more time it could even be made completely from scratch, but the red beans & rice mix was only $2 so not bad.


I chose this recipe because I had made Cabbage Sausage Supper a couple of days earlier. I had some smoked sausage leftover so decided to try out this recipe. I did have to buy shrimp and the red beans & rice mix. I also don't like too spicy of food so wasn't planning on using any hot sauce. I did have Creole Seasoning so added a dash or two of that to season it instead. I bought a 6-serving box of the Red Beans & Rice to use as with the extra add-ins, it would be just right. It sure was!


JIFFY JAMBALYA
Prep/Total Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Method: Stovetop
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 package (8 ounces) red beans and rice mix
1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional

Directions: Cook red beans and rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute sausage and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the shrimp, tomatoes, brown sugar and hot sauce if desired. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in rice mixture. Yield: 4 servings.


Both recipe and picture were taken from Simple & Delicious magazine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum...that sounds good!