Saturday, February 23, 2008

Weekly Menu with SHARE Foods

Once a month I get a unit from the local SHARE foods program. Actually I get two or three units. SHARE is a non-profit organization that offers a variety of foods for low cost. SHARE Food Program

I use SHARE for a few reasons. One is to be frugal since the distribution site I use is half a mile from my house. I save on gas since it normally takes me 15 minutes just to get to town to shop. That means it saves time too. Time and money, gotta love 'em. Also I get a variety of products which introduces my family to new foods. For February I purchased three units. Below is all the food in those three units which cost me $51.



This month one unit included:
Broccoli (1 bunch)
Grapefruit (2)
Oranges (5)
Apples (5)
Celery (1)
Carrots (1 lb)
Potatoes (3 lb)
Onions (2 lb)
Cabbage (1 head)
Tilapia (1 lb)
Shaved Roast Beef (8 oz)
Dijon Turkey Tenderloin (about 2 lbs)
Breaded Pork Patties (5 ct)


Using the foods from the units ...

My Weekly Menu
Monday - Tilapia with Seasoned Rice, Steamed Broccoli, Green Salad
Tuesday - Breaded Pork Sandwiches, Coleslaw, Apple Slices/Celery Sticks
Wednesday - Cabbage-Sausage Supper, Waldorf Salad, French Bread,
Thursday - Beef & Cheddar Rolls, Ceasar Salad
Friday - Pizza Night (Cheese, Supreme, Sausage)
Saturday - Turkey Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
Sunday - FFY Day


This will leave some extra fruit to be used for breakfasts and snacks. The carrots will become carrot sticks for lunches and snacks. A nice crock-pot stew sounds like a delish way to use some of the onions, potatoes and carrots. Perfect for these winter days around here.

No comments: